Join the team
Arcade Comedy Theater is hiring
Please send your resume and cover letter as email attachments to our team, c/o Abby Fudor, Managing Artistic Director. Click the button below to open an email window.
Director of Development
Location: Pittsburgh (remote/in-person)
SUMMARY OF ROLE
Arcade Comedy Theater is seeking a self-motivated, adaptable, and highly organized Director of Development to manage and strategically advance all facets of the theater’s fundraising work. With the support of the Managing Artistic Director and Board of Directors, this team member will develop and implement a balanced, multi-year approach to fundraising in accordance with the theater’s 5-year strategic plan developed in 2021, and secure ample annual resources for Arcade Comedy Theater. The Director of Development oversees and facilitates all aspects of individual giving, major gifts, donor relations and cultivation, grant-writing/management (foundation, corporate, and government), event sponsorship, and corporate partnerships. This staff member reports to the Managing Artistic Director and has the ability to hire seasonal interns to support development goals.
COMPENSATION AND PERKS
- Salaried position starting at $44,000 a year, negotiable commensurate with experience.
- Negotiable health insurance reimbursement
- Generous paid time off, including mental health and personal wellness days
- Flexibility with remote and in-person work: Arcade Comedy Theater supports a blended and fully-remote office environment with certain in-person meetings, shows, or events taking place at the theater
- Flexible work schedule: full-time staff are expected to work 40 hours a week, however employees are allowed to shift hours based on their individual responsibilities and work-life balance
JOB OBJECTIVES AND PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
Fundraising and Financial Management:
- Develop an annual fundraising plan, in alignment with and support of Arcade Comedy Theater’s mission, goals, and current strategic plan. Set annual goals that allow for organizational stability and growth from year to year based on thoughtful analysis of historical data and fundraising/giving trends
- Identify, research, and cultivate funds from foundation, corporate, and government sources
- Solicit donations from new and repeat individual donors, and steward prospects through the donor cycle
- Develop tiered individual monthly giving programs to build the commitment of current donors, attract new monthly donors, and build excitement for subscriptions to Arcade Comedy Theater programs
- Coordinate and execute special events, including but not limited to Give Big, the annual Silent Auction, programming-related special events, as well as donor appreciation/cultivation events
- Research, identify, and secure sponsorship prospects for special events, exhibitions, and educational programs. Strengthen and develop sponsorship recognition strategies
- Oversee grants and maintain grant calendar; support preparation and submission of LOIs, grant proposals, and final reports for local, state, federal, and foundation prospects
- Compose and edit grants and fundraising appeals, case statements, and copy for relevant fundraising collateral, website, social media, and email campaign
- Monitor and manage development budgets (annual, quarterly, etc) with the Board of Directors and Arcade’s staff leadership team. Address budget variances as they occur
- Manage fundraising record-keeping and maintain all development files in G-Suite and GiveGab; maintain notes about donor and prospective donor interactions
- Ensure that all donations are documented, and that gifts are properly acknowledged (including timely tax donation letters) and stewardship reports are submitted according to schedule
Leadership and Community Engagement:
- Develop and strengthen relationships with Board of Directors, volunteers, donors, local business community, and media to foster support of Arcade Comedy Theater
- Educate and empower members of the Board, staff, and larger Arcade community to build the organization’s donor base and communicate our philanthropic identity
- Monitor Arcade’s Board of Directors fundraising (“give or get”) requirements and assist with implementation and engagement
- Supervise the recruitment, training, and cultivation of volunteers for fundraising events and work with volunteer committees to achieve event goals
- Keep current with fundraising best practices and strategies, as well as laws, statutes, professional and ethical standards required by professional fundraising associations, as well as local, state, and federal regulations
- A Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (Master’s degree preferred)
- A minimum of 3-5 years professional experience in fundraising (arts fundraising preferred) with a successful track record in at least two of the following areas:
- Planning and executing an annual campaign
- Soliciting and closing major gifts
- Researching, writing, and applying for foundation grants and corporate support
- Developing or overseeing a membership program
- Planning and executing ticketed fundraising events
- Demonstrated success of meeting or exceeding goals.
- Strong computer skills, including experience in Microsoft Office or Google Suite programs
- Comfortable developing, monitoring, and updating budgets and financial projections
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate across all levels and functions both remotely and in-person
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong professional and leadership presence and demeanor
- Ownership mentality, with a focus on urgency and responsiveness
- Process-oriented, with a bias for action
- Self-motivated, with a passion for the Arcade Comedy Theater, our community and customers
- Proven organizational skills and multitasking abilities
- Strong ability to lead through influence and inspire behavior change
Reasonable accommodations to the following can be made as needed:
This position requires ordinary ambulatory skills and physical coordination sufficient to move about office locations; ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch periodically; manipulation (lift, carry, move) of light to medium weights; arm, hand and finger dexterity including the ability to grasp and type for prolonged periods of time; visual acuity to use a keyboard, computer monitor, operate equipment, and read materials for prolonged periods of time; ability to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear for prolonged periods of time.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
In accordance with public health guidelines and local mandates, any individual who receives a job offer from Arcade Comedy Theater must be vaccinated from COVID-19 as a condition of employment. The prospective employee will need to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or have at least one shot of a two-shot series before beginning work. Any employee who does not receive the second shot within 30 days of their start date will have their probationary employment terminated. Please note you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination.
Arcade Comedy Theater is seeking candidates for this position that represent Pittsburgh’s diverse population in race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ability. BIPOC candidates are encouraged to apply. Arcade celebrates diverse artistic and professional experiences and backgrounds, believing that a welcoming workplace for all is central to fulfilling the theater’s artistic priorities, commitment to inclusion, and upholding its mission, vision and values. Arcade Comedy Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Arcade Comedy Theater was founded in 2013 as the city’s first nonprofit theater exclusively dedicated to comedy, with a mission to elevate and advance the artform and nurture a new community of artists and audiences. Its founders saw the opportunity to create a wider, more accessible platform for the comedic arts in downtown Pittsburgh’s Cultural District, by having a space to produce, present, and educate in comedy. Arcade has a vision to foster a safe, inclusive space to explore and play with humor, which allows individuals to find artistic fulfillment, confidence, and healing through the development of their unique comedic voice. Our audiences experience exciting, engaging, and spirit-lifting performances that showcase comedy in its many forms.
In 2017, the theater successfully expanded from a small storefront to a custom and accessible three-story, two-theater facility in the heart of Pittsburgh’s Cultural District to serve more artists and audiences with expanded performances and classes. Starting in 2018, Arcade began converting volunteer staff to paid positions in key roles. Arcade now welcomes over 20,000 attendees each year to over 500 unique events ranging from the multiple award-winning children’s improv comedy show Penny Arcade, to game shows, to a robust Academy for comedy education. Arcade has stand-up comedy, sketch comedy, improv comedy, live music, short plays, and themed comedy events. The organization announced its first “theatrical season” in February of 2019, which included four major productions planned throughout the year and its first ever musical “Bubble Boy,” which received honorable mention in Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s “Year in Review.” It has been named “Best Place to See Live Comedy” by the readers of Pittsburgh Magazine multiple times, and has been featured in WQED, Yahoo News, and Paste Magazine. In 2020, Arcade was voted 2nd “Best Theater Company” by the readers of Pittsburgh City Paper.
Arcade Comedy Theater inspires joy and nurtures community-building by connecting artists and audiences with the dynamic artform of comedy. With exceptional performances and educational offerings, Arcade entertains and uplifts Pittsburgh audiences and beyond.
Arcade will elevate and advance the art of comedy, by fostering a safe, inclusive space to explore and play with humor. In doing so, our community finds artistic fulfillment, confidence, and healing through the development of their unique comedic voice. Our audiences experience exciting, engaging, and spirit-lifting performances that showcase comedy in its many forms.
- Inclusivity and safety
Mission Statement on Inclusion
Arcade Comedy Theater believes that the best comedy reflects the diverse world in which it is presented. We are committed to providing a safe, supportive, and welcoming environment to all artists, staff, and audience members who come through our doors. Arcade will take an active role to ensure equitable practices and remedy when there are disparities in our values. We understand that inclusion is a journey, and that while we work to do good today, we must also work to do better tomorrow.
- Email your cover letter and resume as attachments to our team, c/o Abby Fudor, Managing Artistic Director (email@example.com)
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
- Interviews, both Zoom and in-person, to begin in October
- Target start date Nov. 15, 2021
If you have any questions about the position, or technical difficulties sending us your resume, please don’t hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org