Join the team
Arcade Comedy Theater is hiring
Director of Development
Location: Pittsburgh (remote/in-person)
Arcade Comedy Theater is a 501(c)3 non-profit theater organization located in the heart of Pittsburgh’s Cultural District that produces, presents, and educates in the art of comedy. The Arcade was founded in 2013 as the city’s first non-profit theater exclusively dedicated to comedy, with a mission to strengthen and enrich the community through laughter for all. In 2017, the theater successfully expanded from a small storefront to a custom and accessible three-story, two-theater facility in order to serve more artists and audiences with new programming and class opportunities. The theater presents a variety of programming 52 weekends a year in improv, stand-up, sketch, and other comedic forms, plus a bi-monthly matinee improv show for kids. Improv, sketch, and stand-up comedy classes for all ages and levels are taught by talented professional actors and comedians within the Arcade Academy. Arcade’s Corporate Training and Entertainment strengthens the communication skills of professionals and makes work fun throughout Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Arcade Comedy Theater inspires joy and nurtures community-building by connecting artists and audiences with the dynamic artform of comedy. With exceptional performances and educational offerings, Arcade entertains and uplifts Pittsburgh audiences and beyond.
Arcade will elevate and advance the art of comedy, by fostering a safe, inclusive space to explore and play with humor. In doing so, our community finds artistic fulfillment, confidence, and healing through the development of their unique comedic voice. Our audiences experience exciting, engaging, and spirit-lifting performances that showcase comedy in its many forms.
- Inclusivity and safety
SUMMARY OF ROLE
Arcade Comedy Theater is seeking a self-motivated, adaptable, and highly organized Director of Development to strategically advance and improve upon the theater’s existing fundraising framework and donor relations. With the support of the Artistic Director and Board of Directors, this team member will develop and implement a balanced, multi-year approach to fundraising in accordance with the theater’s strategic plan and provide ample annual resources for Arcade Comedy Theater. The Director of Development will oversee all aspects of individual giving; major gifts and planned giving; grants (foundation, corporate, and government); event sponsorship; and corporate partnerships. This staff member reports to the Board of Directors and Executive Arcade staff and has the ability to hire seasonal interns to support development goals.
Leadership and General Management
- Develop an annual fundraising plan, with Managing Artistic Director and Board of Directors, in alignment with and in support of Arcade Comedy Theater’s mission, goals, and current strategic plan. Set an annual goal that stretches the organization from year to year based on thoughtful analysis of historical data and fundraising/giving trends.
- Research, identify, and cultivate prospects in the individual, foundation, corporate, and government funding sources. Solicit donations from appropriate prospects and steward prospects through the donor cycle.
- Keep current with laws, statutes, professional and ethical standards required by professional associations, as well as local, state, and federal regulations.
- Monitor and manage an annual development budget with the Board of Directors and Arcade’s staff leadership team. Address budget variances as they occur.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of fundraising best practices and strategies.
- Manage fundraising database and maintain all development files.
- Research, or conceptualize strategies that support development goals related to major gifts, institutional, government, and individual giving.
- Ensure that all gifts are properly acknowledged (including tax donation letters) and stewardship reports are submitted according to schedule.
- Oversee grants and maintain grant calendar; support preparation and submission of LOIs, grant proposals, and final reports for local, state, federal, and foundation prospects.
- Compose and edit grants and fundraising appeals, case statements, and copy for relevant fundraising collateral, website, social media, and email campaigns.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with Board of Directors, volunteers, donors, local business community, and media to foster support of Arcade Comedy Theater.
- Delegate tasks to interns (when assigned) to make the most efficient and beneficial use of internship opportunities to both Arcade Comedy Theater and student interns.
- Coach Board, staff, volunteers, performers, and interns regarding donor cultivation, advocacy, and building brand awareness.
- Establish and manage a calendar of events designed to expand and enrich donor participation and/or raise funds, working with all relevant Arcade staff.
- Monitor Arcade’s Board of Directors fundraising (“give or get”) requirements and assist with implementation and engagement.
- Expand and manage the corporate and foundational giving program. Research, draft, cultivate, and steward proposals and sponsorships.
- Prepare timely, accurate, and relevant proposals, presentations, and other fundraising materials for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Develop tiered individual monthly giving programs to build the commitment of current donors, attract new monthly donors, and build excitement for subscriptions to Arcade Comedy Theater programs.
- Coordinate and execute special events, including but not limited to Give Big, the annual Silent Auction, programming-related special events, as well as donor appreciation/cultivation events.
- Research, identify, and secure sponsorship prospects for special events, exhibitions, and educational programs. Strengthen and develop sponsorship recognition strategies.
- Supervise the recruitment, training, and cultivation of volunteers for fundraising events and work with volunteer committees to achieve event goals.
- Prepare final event reports with recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure all donations are documented and that acknowledgments are personalized and timely sent.
- Maintain notes and helpful comments about donor and prospective donor interactions in a method accessible to all executive staff members, so that this information may be referenced and used for future conversations with donors.
Arcade Comedy Theater is seeking candidates for this position that represent Pittsburgh’s diverse population in race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ability. BIPOC candidates are encouraged to apply. Arcade celebrates diverse artistic and professional experiences and backgrounds, believing that a welcoming workplace for all is central to fulfilling the theater’s artistic priorities, commitment to inclusion, and upholding its mission, vision and values. Arcade Comedy Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Bachelor’s degree, in relevant discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years professional fundraising experience with a successful track record and at least two of the following skills:
- Planning and executing an annual grassroots campaign
- Soliciting and closing major gifts
- Researching and applying for foundation grants and corporate support
- Planning and executing ticketed fundraising events
- Writing and completing successful grant applications/proposals
- Demonstrated record of organizing successful fundraising, marketing, or membership programs.
- Demonstrated success of meeting or exceeding goals.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional work experience in nonprofit management, development, marketing, public relations, sales, or similar professional work experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience developing and monitoring budgets.
- Strong ability to lead through influence and inspire behavior change.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong professional and leadership presence and demeanor.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate across all levels and functions.
- Ownership mentality, with a focus on urgency and responsiveness.
- Process-oriented, with a bias for action.
- Self-motivated, with a passion for the Arcade Comedy Theater, our community and customers.
- Strong computer skills with experience in all Google Suite programs; experience or exposure to quality management software or tools preferable.
- Proven organizational skills and multitasking abilities.
Salaried position starting at $44,000 a year, negotiable commensurate with experience.
Mission Statement on Inclusion
Arcade Comedy Theater believes that the best comedy reflects the diverse world in which it is presented. We are committed to providing a safe, supportive, and welcoming environment to all artists, staff, and audience members who come through our doors. Arcade will take an active role to ensure equitable practices and remedy when there are disparities in our values. We understand that inclusion is a journey, and that while we work to do good today, we must also work to do better tomorrow.
- Email your cover letter and resume as attachments to Abby Fudor, Managing Artistic Director, c/o our Development Department (email@example.com)
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
- Interviews to begin in October
- Target start date Nov. 1, 2021
Please send your resume and cover letter as email attachments to Abby Fudor, Managing Artistic Director, ℅ our Development Department. Click the button below to open an email window.
If you have any questions about the position, or technical difficulties sending us your resume, please don’t hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org